Online Permitting & Licensing
Building in Pleasant Hill just got easier with the new online system that streamlines our permitting and licensing process. Through a partnership with Citizenserve, submitting applications for permits and/or licenses, online payment, and code compliance can be completed online in one convenient location, and you can track your application’s progress.
Changes to Note
- UPDATED CODES: Starting August 1, 2023 the adopted codes shall be as follows:
- 2021 International Residential Code
- 2021 International Building Code
- 2021 International Fire Code
- 2018 International Mechanical Code
- 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code
- 2017 National Electric Code
- 2012 International Energy Conservation Code
- TOWNHOME ELECTRICAL: Feeders supplying townhomes shall not extend through any townhome unit other than the unit served. For the purposes of this provision, the term townhome shall mean a single-family dwelling unit constructed in a group of two or more attached units in which each unit extends from foundation to roof and with a yard or public way on not less than two sides.
- PEX WATER SERVICE: Cross-linked polyethylene (PEX) can now be used for the water service from the stop box to the structure as installed following Des Moines Water Works standards. Copper is still required from the water main to the stop box.
- FROST FOOTING REQUIREMENTS: Footings at frost depth will not be required for detached residential accessory structures under 1,024 sq. ft. or freestanding decks under 30” high from the surrounding grade at least 36” out from the deck.
The Building division oversees all construction permits and performs all construction inspections within the city. The department is also responsible for zoning enforcement, nuisance abatement, and floodplain management. The building division strives to ensure that the homes and commercial buildings within our community are structurally safe, and employ the latest in fire-safe technology in accordance with the adopted building codes. Our goal is to provide fast, efficient, and friendly customer service to our citizens and the entire construction community.