Garbage and Recycling
Garbage and Recycling services are provided by Metro Waste Authority. Payment for regular garbage and recycling collection is sent via the monthly water bill from Des Moines Water Works. In order to start your service, you must call Des Moines Water Works at 515-283-8700.
Garbage collection rates
- Monthly trash and recycling: $16.64
- Trash: $11.84 per month for a 96-gallon container
$10.96 per month for a 48-gallon container
- Recycling: $4.80 per month for 96-gallon container
Metro Waste Authority's Curb It! program provides each residential household in MWA's service area a 96-gallon cart with automated collection with every other Wednesday pickup. For those who generate less trash, 48-gallon carts are available. Requests for the smaller carts can be made by calling 24-GREEN. An exchange fee may apply. Check the lid on your cart for the pickup schedule in your area, and be sure to set your cart out by 7 a.m. Click here for more information about recycling.
- Mixed paper
- Plastic containers
- Shredded paper
- Tin and aluminum cans
- Paper food cartons
Items not accepted
- Food contaminated material
- Garbage or yard debris
- Plastic bags or containers with motor oil or other hazardous materials.
Pleasant Hill Clean-Up (Only in the Spring each year)
Pleasant Hill spring clean-up is in Spring.
- Curbside clean-up: Solid waste (garbage, refuse, rubbish, and other similar discarded solid or semi-solid materials) can be picked up curbside from 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Appliance and scrap metal drop-off: H&W Recycling accepts junk appliances, electronics and scrap metal. Cost varies from $15 - $30 depending on the size. During non-clean up dates, click here for contact options for large and small appliances
- Scrap tire program: Residents can drop off up to five passenger car and truck tires in the west parking lot of the Pleasant Hill Public Library. No large semi-trailer, tractor, fork lift, golf cart or mower tires will be accepted.
- Hazardous waste: If you have items such as acid, batteries, oil, antifreeze, lawn fertilizer, pesticides, pool chemicals, oil based paints or aerosols, take them to The Regional Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center, 225 Prairie Drive SW in Bondurant. Click here to view the location.
Holiday Tree Pick-up
Christmas Tree collection is done through Metro Waste Authority’s Compost It! program. Trees are removed from the curb on your regular garbage day. All trees must have a Compost It! sticker attached and be free of decorations. Wreaths are not accepted. Stickers are sold at participating grocery and hardware stores for $1.25.
Winter yard waste collection is also the last chance to get rid of remaining yard debris before spring. Be sure to use your Compost It! yard waste cart, Compost It! bags, or attach Compost It! stickers to generic bags to ensure your yard waste is picked up.
For more information about winter collection, visit Metro Waste Authority or call 515-244-0021.