News Flash

City of Pleasant Hill

Posted on: April 3, 2023

2023 Property Tax Assessments

Pleasant Hill Homes

The Polk County Assessor recently mailed each property owner updated property assessments. 

Polk County residential assessments increased an average of 22% to reflect real estate market values in 2022, a time when the real estate market was very strong and demand far outpaced supply. Property Taxes will not be increasing by this percentage. The residential and agricultural rollback will significantly reduce the impact of this assessed value increase, meaning most residential and agriculture property owners will see the taxable value grow around 3% because property assessment is not an indication of tax liability. 

The Polk County Assessor is independent of Cities and the Iowa Department of Revenue and the Assessor’s Office performs a required evaluation of property valuations on odd-numbered years per State of Iowa law. The City of Pleasant Hill receives approximately 25% of property tax revenue. The remaining 75% is distributed to Southeast Polk School District or Des Moines Public Schools, Polk County, Broadlawns Medical Center, Des Moines Area Community College, DART, Polk County Assessor, and Polk County Agriculture Extension. The City of Pleasant Hill’s proposed Fiscal Year 2024 budget shows no increase to the tax levy and the City estimates its overall property tax collection will be less than the previous fiscal year due to the expiration of a TIF district.

If you believe your 2023 assessed value is inaccurate or unfair, you have an opportunity to file a protest with the Polk County Assessors Board of Review, as listed on the assessor’s property tax statement.

Protests are a built-in check and balance that  is built in the property tax system and function as part of the assessor’s external quality assurance program.

If you have any additional questions, please call the Polk County Assessor’s office at 515-286-3014 or email at

Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in City of Pleasant Hill